Arts Square, initially called Mikhailovskaya Square, is an architectural ensemble in St Petersburg. It was designed in the first part of the 19th century by a great architect Carlo di Giovanni Rossi. The square is located close to Griboedov canal.
History and layout
For a long time, the area was empty. The creation of Mikhailovsky palace between the Third Summer garden and Nevsky Prospekt started in 1819. Carlo Rossi designed a harmonious ensemble, he also suggested the project for the facades of other buildings around the square. However, they were built by other people. Eight years later the square became green, its layout changed a bit so trees did not hide the Mikhailovsky palace. There were also ideas to set up a fountain in the park, but sadly they were never implemented.
At the end of the 60s of the 19th century, a horse railway line was laid across the square. Mikhailovsky park was restored in 1876, and the lanes, paths and benches wee changed. As there was not enough money, only a guardhouse and an irrigation system were founded. The former one was later moved to the Nikolsky park.
At the end of the 19 century, Mikhailovsky palace became the Russian museum, and according to the project by architect Spinin, its eastern side was rebuilt into the Russian Ethnography Museum. The same activity was supposed to be changed the same way, but reconstruction works did not continue. These changes distorted the ideas of Rossi, and the facade of the hotel “Evropeyskaya” was also rebuilt.
Initially, the building of the hotel was designed by architect Ludwig Fontan in 1873-1875 and based on two buildings: former hotel Clee and Rogov’s apartment. After the fire in 1871, both buildings were bought and reconstructed in Hotel d”Europe.
In the 20th century, Mikhailovsky park became one of the most favourite walking areas in the city. Several horse railway routes had the last stop there, thereby the square was always full of people.
In 1920s the Square was named after German socialist Ferdinand Lassalle. On September 26th, 1940 it was called the Arts Square (in Russian: Ploshchad Iskusstv). The monument to Alexander Pushkin by Mikhail Anikushin was placed in the centre of the square on June 19th, 1957.
Apart from a number of architectural masterpieces, Arts Square is also known for a flat of a famous painter Isaak Brodsky. Nowadays you can visit this museum with artist’s works. It is situated in the former House of Golenishchev-Kutuzov. The ensemble also include the Hall of St. Petersburg Philharmonic.
Информация об экскурсии
|Open||All year round|
|Metro / Subway|
|Metro station Nevsky Prospekt||3, 3M, 3МБ, 7, 22, 24, 27, 191|
|Ploshchad Iskusstv||K-107, K-289|
|Metro station Nevsky Prospekt||1, 5, 7, 10, 11, 22|
Arts Square is a part of my private tours:
Also, you can customize a tour or book an inside excursion to one of the close-by attractions.