On May 27th of 1703 the beginning of the foundation of the fortress called Sankt Petersburg was initiated. The name of this fortress spread onto the city that was founded and quickly spread next to it. The fortress itself was named after one of its own parts — the cathedral, located right in its center, which was named after the saints Paul and Peter. It became the first Cathedral and the first sight of burial of the Russian Emperors and Empresses.
Currently, the Winter Palace constitutes a part of the architectural complex of one of the largest museums in the world – the State Hermitage museum. The Palace is situated in the heart of Saints Petersburg. Built in 1762 for 155 years the Winter Palace had been used as the main residence of the Russian royal family until the last Russian monarch – Nicholas the 2nd. It is one of the brightest, finest and latest momentums of the High Baroque, the style that strived to show solemnity and grandiosity.
The cathedral is named after reverend Isaac the Dalmatian, a Byzantium monk because on May 30th the remembrance day is also the day of birth Peter the Great, the founder of Saints Petersburg and the first Russian emperor. The fourth and the last version of the church is the cathedral itself, recognized as a masterpiece of the 19th century’s architecture, by the design proposed by the French architect, August de Montferrand. The interior design of the cathedral can astonish with the perfection of shapes’ execution, at the same time, the numerous pieces of art, the combination of colorful gems and gilding.
Nowadays, when we think of the Hermitage, we imply the architectural complex that was evolving for over a century and that includes several buildings: The Winter Palace (1762),The Small Hermitage (1775), The Large (Old) Hermitage (1787), the Hermitage theatre (1787), and the New Hermitage. The State Hermitage museum is one of the largest museums in the world along with the Louvre in Paris, The National Gallery and The British Museum in London, and the Prado Museum in Madrid. Its collection includes approximately 3 million exhibits: 15,000 paintings, 12,000 sculptures, and 224,000 objects of applied arts.