A privately owned museum, organized by the Link of Times Foundation, with the magnificent collection of works by the recognized worldwide jeweler Carl Fabergé. The Foundation acquired the unique collection from Malcolm Forbes, it also gathered over 4000 fine art pieces and restored Shuvalov Palace, which know serves as a wonderful Fabergé museum.
The museum was opened in 2013 with a background idea of bringing the masterpieces of Russian art to a wider audience. Thus, in museum’s halls you can see Russian icons, silverware, interior and cultural elements, various jewels by Faberge.
Collection of the Imperial Easter Eggs
The most essential and known masterpieces of the collection – the nine Imperial Easter Eggs created by Carl Fabergé for the last two Russian emperors. Each of the Eggs is a mastery of jewelry and art with special historical importance. All of them are located in the Blue Hall of the Palace.
It’s the first Easter egg from the jeweled collection that was crafted by Fabergé for the Russian Tsar Alexander III and his wife Maria Feodorovna in 1885. Actually it is supposed that Carl himself never participated in creating the eggs, but those were created under his precise supervision.
The Jeweled Hen is made of gold and consists of several parts. It opens to show a gold yolk, inside of which there is a hen, while the hen reveals a crown and a pendant. Sadly, the pendant and crown are missing.
Beautiful agate Renaissance egg was made in 1894 by Michael Perkhin under Fabergé’s supervision. It was the last one presented to Maria by Alexander, as that year the Tsar died. The egg is adorned with rubies and diamonds and has a golden frame.
Its surprise is lost, but there are several ideas of what that could be. One option – there were pearls inside. Another assumption is that inside the Renaissance egg was the Resurrection egg that was long considered as a separate Fabergé creation. But the fact that the Resurrection egg has no inventory number and is decorated in the same way as the Renaissance one speaks for this theory.
The first Easter egg that Nicholas II, the son of Alexander III, presented to his wife Alexandra Feodorovna, keeping the father’s tradition, in 1895. The egg is made in the Neoclassic style and covered with a transparent red enamel, also having a portrait of Nicholas on the top of the egg and the date of its creation.
The Rosebud egg was a nice gift to Alexandra to remind her of her motherland Darmstadt. The egg contains a yellow rosebud referring to the yellow China tea rose, so valued in Alexandra’s former home. The surprise is lost, but known that it included a gold crown and a cabochon ruby pendant.
Unique Easter egg with a wonderful surprise in it – the detailed replica of the coronation carriage made at the Catherine II times. Interestingly, when the State Hermitage Museum specialists were restoring the actual coach, they checked on its tiny replica from the egg.
The Imperial Coronation Easter Egg was created in 1897 by Michael Perkhin and Henrik Wongstrom to celebrate the memorable occasion. It is golden and covered with yellow enamel.
Lilies of the Valley
Truly refined Easter Egg of 1898 is adorned with pearls, diamonds and lilies-of-the-valley, favorite Tsaritsa’s flowers. It’s covered with pink enamel and vertical stripes of diamonds. The surprise of the egg is very special – 3 miniature portraits of Nicholas II and two Grand Duchesses Olga and Tatiana.
Another present from Nicholas II to Tsaritsa Alexandra gifted in 1900. The egg is beautifully decorated with a clock dial with Arabic numbers made of diamonds. It also has pearls on top and a surprise of a moving bird. The egg has the same mechanics as music jewelry boxes created in the 19th century.
The Easter Egg with no surprise in it, but a magnificent decoration – it has portraits and historical events illustrated on the cover. The creation of the egg dates back to 1911, the 15th anniversary of reign. The egg is divided into 18 segments, having portraits of the Tsar Nicholas II, his wife and children and historical compositions painted by Vasily Zuiev.
An Easter Egg that does not really look an egg. It is a bay tree, early mistaken as an orange tree, with a key opening at the top. Inside the egg is a moving and singing bird. The egg was given to Maria Feodorovna, who loved birds.
The masterpiece is made of Sayan jade, its leaves are decorated with pink diamonds, amethysts and citrines. The tree is “planted” in a pot made of white onyx.
Order of St George
A modestly-decorated egg due to the World War I was created in 1916 and presented to Maria Feodorovna. Actually that was the only Easter Egg she could take with her when leaving the revolutionary Russia in 1919.
This Easter Egg defines the awarding of Nicholas II. When clicking the buttons on the sides, the portraits of the Tsar and the Tsarevich Alexey appear. On the top and bottom, the Egg stated the monogram of Maria Feodorovna and the year of egg’s creation.
Please note that this museum may be included in the following private tours:
Information About the Excursion
|Fontanka River Embankment, 21|
|Metro / Subway|
|Lineyniy Prospect||3, 3M, 3MБ, 7, 22, 24, 27, 181, 191|
|Lineyniy Prospect||1, 5, 7, 10, 11, 22|